Scorned

I walked with a kind of saunter to the bar on 14th street as if I hadn’t a care in the world. For a well known street I had driven on for three years, the paved sidewalk and scenery seemed so unfamiliar. The neighborhood albeit urbanized from the corner of Serenity Avenue, still consisted of rundown residential homes and boarded houses with crack corners. In my opinion, it appeared that the people that often visited the outskirts of 14th street did so for two reasons, to drink cheap beer or to buy drugs.

I looked like the latter – a crack head junkie! Although I had already stopped crying hours ago, my mascara had run to form black rivulets down my cheeks. My clothing and hair disheveled from the one woman pity party I threw in my apartment before I decided to go to the bar, the only place I knew Toy will not look for me. It was not difficult to tell that I was distressed and skittish; showing emotions alien to my temperament. The lady who usually stood on the street begging for spare change uttered no word but instead stared me out of countenance. I could understand her reasoning, she was protecting her space. She had been there for so long that she felt she was the only one that had the right to ask people for spare change in this area. She will rather die than let another bitch curtail her dole.

At twenty eight, I am about to have my first strong drink. Although I am no virgin to alcohol, I wouldn’t call my sporadic cherry flavored drink a potent beverage. Infact, any drink mixed with sugar and lemon is hardly alcohol; I consider it spiced up orange juice designed to perk you up. The strength and courage I had to enter the bar I hated going with Toy was foreign. The place is very filthy. To an anosmatic person, the bar would seem like any other cheap bar; however, this bar stank of vomit mixed with urine and beer. The garbage in the corner was overflowing; the tables were caked in mud as if it had been stamped on by a multitude of people. The ladies restroom is frequently out of order, which means men and women would share the men’s restroom. I personally believed that the manager and his employees did this intentionally – Perverts, the whole lot of them. I just don’t understand how Toy enjoys this place?

“The usual?” came the sound behind the counter. I wasn’t sure why the bartender chose to speak to me. He usually pours the drink with a stern look and went about his business. I had often concluded that he had no personality, he was grunt and you could never catch him smile. So why did he talk to me today? Could it be that he perceived a change in my demeanor? Clearly, I wasn’t as sophisticated and guarded as I usually am, especially when I come with Toy.

“No…Amaretto sour is not strong enough to numb me. I’ll have a glass of Everclear, straight up, and yeah, keep it coming”.

His left eyebrow rose “I think grain alcohol is too much for a lady like you”

His insult, though unwitting pained me. I gave what I thought is a good retort “I don’t give a rat’s ass what you think is good for me. Give me what I asked for” suddenly remembering my manners I added a faint please. I yelled at him because he vaguely reminded me of Toy’s comments. “If you don’t do this or that, I won’t marry you” I altered my attitude and molded my personality to everything I thought he wanted in a wife. I should have known the silly bastard never intended to marry me. He was already married; he has a son and another baby on the way.


Earlier in the day, I had gone over to Toy’s house, but strangely the doors were locked. He had actually changed the locks. I knocked softly, not wanting to alert the neighbors. A petite lady in adire [1]came to the door. Perplexed, I asked for Toy. She informed me pleasantly that no one by that name lived there. Just then I noticed a cute little boy- splitting image of Toy hiding behind her. I tried again but with foible stamina knowing fully well who and what I was dealing with. “May I speak to the man that lives here”?

“Folake, tani yen[2]” I heard Toy voiced

“Mi o mo. Won bere enikan ton je Toy”[3]

“Emi ni won bere. Awon kan o le pe Toyosi[4]. Who is that?”

“Toy, it is me. Who is she?”

My question was greeted with shouts of derision. Toy gave me a warning not to ever come to his house again then the warning followed with an advice “when a guy does not return your calls, gumption should tell you it is over” But before he closed his door I heard him tell her “eniti mo koko fe fi se iwe ni yen”[5]

Being a linguistics polyglot, his remark was not lost on me. I wept inconsolably on his door step for a long time.

The bartender slapped his palm on the table to get my attention then he slid the tall glass my way. As I took the first sip from my drink, I felt the ethanol in the alcohol make its way to my cell membrane; it produced a terrific buzz that I wished would last forever. I was in a state of pleasant intoxication which gave me the confidence I never knew I possessed.

In a gulp I finished the drink. My head burned, my eyesight became blurry and my movement a little delayed. I noticed a jukebox in the corner but wondered if it still worked. I gave my bag a good rummage but couldn’t find any change. Brave enough; I dipped into the tip jar for a quarter. I staggered barefooted towards the jukebox, slotted in the coin and selected Billy Holiday’s “Baby Get Lost”. It played alongside the loud obnoxious rap from the radio. The bartender noticed the sound conflict but did not bother to turn the radio off.

I started dancing, then twirling like a thread on a spindle. I felt the heat in my stomach rise up and pass through my lungs and it came out of my mouth as laughter.

I laughed myself into the state of tranquility… serenity. I was aware everyone in the bar stared, but couldn’t care. I had devoted myself to him for three years and nothing to show for it. My laughter grew louder as I remembered my act of vengeance. I had let out the air in his four tires, then brought out my keys and scribbled words of profanity all over his car. My emergency Swiss knife did what it did best – I used it to cut through the leathery roof. For the grand finale, I picked up a stone and threw it at the windshield then proceeded to do the same to the side mirrors and navigation system. He deserved it. Toy had worked overtime for three years to buy his BMW M6 convertible and it took me just half an hour to destroy everything.

We are not even until I demolish all he has worked for in his life.


[1] Tie and Dye cloth
[2] Folake, who is that?
[3] I don’t know. She is looking for someone named Toy
[4] That’s me. Some people can’t pronounce Toyosi
[5] She is the one I wanted to use for my immigration papers

86 Comments:

  1. Ms. Catwalq said...
    FIRST!!!!!

    Pink Satin eat it
    JD said...
    Ok... we have to wait see what happens! So is she white or one 'em tokunbo babies!!! with a Carrie Underwood fire for destroying leather seats?
    Jaycee said...
    Ahhhh...second....why, catwalq??? Lolll...let me cure my curiosities...let me curb my enthusiasm...brb...
    Jaycee said...
    Ahhhh...JD....why naw?
    JD said...
    lol jaycee!!!
    Toluwa Lase said...
    cant wait for the nxt episode...
    Jaycee said...
    Awww...what an excellent start. There's no one like a woman SCORNED. This is the beginning of many more beautiful writings to come...I wonder if there will be more descriptions of their shared fallacious relationship, and how it was very well hidden!

    Can't wait for the next episode...
    fantasy queen said...
    8th...not bad. going to read
    Lighty said...
    9th. arghhh! i'll be back
    Goy said...
    Mmm...interesting...I wonder where this will lead?
    NigerianDramaQueen said...
    This deserves to be in print somewhere.
    You told a story that belongs to many women, and that belongs to you alone...and you were able to do it with art: weaving in the themes of 14th and Serenity.
    Very well written. Great start!
    Nwanyi Ocha said...
    10th/11th - still top ha!

    nice .... very nice... tsk tsk ,Toy should have known better

    hmmm, are the forth coming posts linked or on thier own? ... guess we'll have to wait and see...
    SOLOMONSYDELLE said...
    great start, Allied. That paragraph that described the sound of laughter coming up from her gut was excellent.
    Kiibaati said...
    But she wasn't the one he used to finally get the green card. Who was the final mugu? Behind every successful 9ja man, there are many women...
    Mommy said...
    wow! Hmmmm..."Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned." Waiting for the next. This was very well organised. I am not dissappointed.
    Naapali said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    Moody Crab said...
    Interesting. Quite impressed I must say. Eagerly waiting for the next installment.

    Well done, Allied.
    Naapali said...
    And so the stories of life on 14th and Serenity begins. Thanks Allied for setting up the stage so to speak.
    Kiibaati said...
    I wonder what his baby-mother was going through while a white woman was crying at the door.
    TheAfroBeat said...
    Great story, great start, great initiative! Excited to read the many delicious tales to come! Well done, peeps!
    Lighty said...
    wow! karma, karma, karma. who wuld av known she understood what he was saying.

    looks like he's gonna av to pay with his life now eyyy?
    Zephi Fahrenheit said...
    hmm nice, will be reading..the story hits nome
    Standtall said...
    I can't believe that this posting has received 21 comments without mine!!! I have being checking out for this posting since morning. How did I get to miss being the first? I am now 2o something. No P.

    This is a good start. I am glued...
    darkelcee said...
    Captivating piece.

    Keep more coming please

    Toy / Toyosi ...lollll
    Waffarian said...
    Great start! Well done Allied.
    fantasy queen said...
    This comment has been removed by the author.
    princesa said...
    Heartbreak Hotel, hmmm...this story go sweet o!

    Great work Allied.
    fantasy queen said...
    nice one allied! it was worth the wait.

    loved that you were able to bring the themes to life.
    hell hath no fury indeed
    Atutupoyoyo said...
    Great start Allied. You have provided a very solid foundation for the stories to come. Yours was by far the hardest task and I salute you.
    Omosewa said...
    So are these real life stories or are there some elements of truth? LOL!

    Nicely written, Allied.
    30+ said...
    Bravo Mademoiselle Allied, ces't magnifique.

    BTW Miss Catty carry your leg commot from that side. Technically you can not be the first since you are part of the cast.
    LG said...
    Applause!!!! Applause!!!!
    I'm impressed, it was worth it,
    kip it coming gurl!!!
    Jaja said...
    Well done Allied! You are very brave, like any true beginner [of something]
    ablackjamesbond said...
    Fantastic!

    Loved the way u weaved the theme, if i can call it that, into the story...

    Will the other writers also use '14th & Serenity' as a location?

    Hoping to see other interpretations of the theme.

    I think NDQ was spot on with her comments...you told a story that belonged to several women with the story of one woman.

    The evil that men do *shales his head...God forgive me.
    Orientatednaijababe said...
    Allied, u definitely have a gift. U brought the whole thing to life....thanks for sharing your gift.

    I am definitely hooked on this series...if i no pass my exam with distinction na blogville i go blame oh.

    Longing for the next post
    Rinsola said...
    so i was #36, due to the messed up connection. Job well done!!!!!!!!!! Not short of what i expected. Great read
    Ekoakete said...
    Well done Allied. Captivating writing. Looking forward to the next installment!
    N.I.M.M.O said...
    According to BimbyLads 'Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned...'

    What?

    You mean it wasn't BimbyLads who said it first? Duh.

    But why do women always go for the car? And whats this fascination for putting razor to leather seats? Haba, can't they just find something else?

    As Rodney King said 'Why can't we all just get along?'. (Rodney King said that, right?)

    Nice start Allied. Who's next?
    guerreiranigeriana said...
    it's a lie!!!...so 38 people have been here before me?!...chai...let me go and read jo...
    theicequeen said...
    this is gonna be interesting....judging from the residents.....

    as una wan kill me with suspence abi?

    im off to read now.. :P
    guerreiranigeriana said...
    bravo allied, bravo!!!...well done...captivating...riveting...
    Tininu said...
    finally you guys have posted...gonna go and read it now!!!

    be right back
    Charizard said...
    impressive work there mayn...awaiting the next instalment, wait so catwalq d@ one mean say no catwalq academie again this year abi?
    bumight said...
    this is really a great start. hoping to see how/if the characters develop. you are definitely talented!
    Tininu said...
    this was nice, build up and description was on point but one question to the character...y would you do that to his 6 series bwm, what kind of person are you...

    just to let you kow his insurance would have replaced all that you damaged so in effect all you did was make him pay about an excess of £300 and in 5 days his car would be back..
    Funms said...
    ooohhhh.... me likey! the last paragraph reminded me of carrie unerwood's before he cheats..... cant wait to read the next post......
    theicequeen said...
    hmm, i felt this one oh! Allied, great writing!!

    but the heartlessness of the guy eh.why did he have to play her like that? couldnt he spend the extra 3 minutes to find someone who he'll tell it as it is and theyll cooperate?why did he have to lead her on? and so gracelessly let her down..mchew

    love the marvelous number she did on his car tho ;)

    this 14th and serenity thing looks all set to be ah-maze-ING! you guys are so, so so fab!!!
    Baroque said...
    @allied, your narration is outta this world, i've got to give it to you...you know how many times i ope dictionary?...well done...i wonder where the story is going to go to from here...who's next...

    ...just a thought, i think 48 hours is a little too short for a sequesl from another writer, anyway...we dey here
    Carlang said...
    Lovely Story.
    I agree with everyone else. It's an impressive start.
    I can't wait for the sequel.

    Nice Narration Allied.
    A lovely start to end the month with.
    Aijay said...
    Wow!!! This was well written, beautiful! Looking forward to the next episode.
    Well done Allied, well done.
    shop liquorice said...
    fabulous :)
    will stay glued to this blog...

    xo
    Mz. Dee said...
    50th wen i got here.. doubt i still am.
    Wonderfully Structured.
    Loved every sentence.
    "Hell hath no fury like a woman's scorn" this episode simply defines that statement.. cant wait 4 the next!!
    Pink-satin said...
    catwalq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!after all my sleepless nights i am #53 ..okay o...!!!let me go read!!!
    Pink-satin said...
    bravo bravo bravo!!!!
    Sherri said...
    nice!
    kudos allied.
    TaureanMinx said...
    Great work...so are there only going to be 12 chapters? Or theres a rota?
    Ms Sula said...
    I am hooked!! Can't wait for the next installment!

    That was good.
    ablackjamesbond said...
    Did i just read NIMMO?

    Lemme go check again
    Mommy said...
    lol @ NIMMO
    OluwaDee said...
    Good start, kept me glued to my screen all d way.

    Good job allide.
    SOLOMONSYDELLE said...
    Yes, Black James Bond, there's been a NIMMO sighting!

    Nevertheless, per the 'Finding NIMMO' game, I found a cool vid of him dancing. Check it out here.
    It's hilarious!
    Naija Chickito said...
    Loving this. Brilliant!

    Where Afro @? Babes, you are losing your touch! lol. Expected to see you up there!
    Afrobabe said...
    wow.....

    Is there any other word???

    You have outdone urself Allied...

    This is absolutely brilliant...
    Afrobabe said...
    Naija Chickito no be small thing oh...I completely forgot the date...
    UndaCovaSista said...
    Great start...Eagerly anticipating the next instalment.
    Noni Moss said...
    Interesting concept. Very good start - you've set the scene nicely. Cant wait to read the rest.
    Uzezi said...
    interesting. good read. nicely written. and just a fraction of what some women go through in the hands of men
    AlooFar said...
    Allied for Idols Blogging ;)

    Very brilliant narration. I'm wow-ed.

    Who next?
    Kpakpando said...
    Whats makes some people assume that's she's white?

    3 years ke? And she saw no warning signs? Is a lie! Sometimes people take this trust thing too far, I mean was her gut instinct on vacation?
    As for destroying the car, no need to catch a case for an animal like him o... shebi baba God is alive, something must surely happen to him... for all you know that spitting image of him was his brother's son :)
    The Indecent One..... said...
    Pls can someone summarise this ish?




    Lol...I kid! Nicely structured and put together. Kudos! :)
    Queen of My Castle said...
    I am but ONE day late and I come in as number 71!

    Wow...such a great start. I have already become a 14th and Serenity whore!
    Naija Idol said...
    NO.71. nice one.
    uNWrItten* said...
    thats madd o!!!
    lol ill definitely be back!
    Naijaxpress said...
    Nice one. Talented Nigerian Writers are surfacing.
    Naijaxpress said...
    Wwwooow!!, God bless all of you. You guys have changed my life. Saw this on Jeremy's blog and decided to read the blogs of the all 12 writers. You guys are absolutely talented. Allied killed it. The remaining have a huge task ahead. I imagine Atutu is writing his now. I cannot wait for Overwhelmed. Her blogs are brilliantly written and so, so, deep...chei!! I cannot even imagine what she would write. It would blow out blogville to smitherines. Catwalq, Solomonsydelle, Jaja, Naapali, Waffy,kibaati,Rayo, ...abeg, make una dey raise the bar one after the other. Once again, God bless you all.
    Rayo said...
    Awesome start...now I'm really nervous about writing my own....
    Pink-satin said...
    kpankpando...lol his brothers child ke!!!pls i am awaitiing d next writer!!hurry jare n post
    Yessie said...
    i totally enjoyed reading this
    SMC said...
    A few typos observed, but I'm loving it thus far.
    naijalines said...
    Enjoyable read. The Yoruba bits fitted snugly like feet in well worn boots. - One of the writer's many strengths. Is there a part two or will that be in '15th and Serenity?' :D
    exschoolnerd said...
    loved this!!! yet again i am impressed.....
    Overwhelmed Naija Babe said...
    Allied oh... absolutely loved this piece... so smart and well-written... and CATWALQ will never again be the first on ANY of these installments if i have my way.. hehe... its on like donkey kong... and I love how she went carrie underwood on his ass... very stupid man... ode buruku.. his past will slap his future very soon.. hehe(im so violent... )fantastic way to start up the series...
    Smaragd said...
    Fantastic story Allied, i concur with every positive comment, u are indeed a writer!

    btw, what does anosmatic mean?
    Jarrai said...
    Very impressive... you have me in awe...very nicely written
    Allied said...
    @Smaragd - anosmatic means someone who can't smell...
    Olamild said...
    Beautifully written

Post a Comment




 

Original Blogger Template | Modified by Blogger-Whore | Distributed by eBlog Templates